Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Wednesday Night Bliss

Ok, y'all-I know I have not posted in a little bit. It's been crazy with painting, moving, and decorating-all of it around 10 1/2 hour days with 7 daycare kids!!! Yes, I said 7! Kids have been crawling out of the woodwork since we moved into town. I am a little overwhelmed with the juggling this requires and when they are all here, I am housebound (not enough room in the van!). I honestly don't know how Michelle Duggar does it!
Anyway, I had a great day off hanging out with my Veteran! My husband has served for 23 years and done two tours in the Middle East. I am so very, very proud of him! I took the day off from daycare to spend some much needed time with him. We went furniture shopping-bought a new couch, YAY! I will start posting pics of the newly painted and some-what decorated house in the next day or two. I tried a new recipe tonight and it was a HUGE hit! Y'all really need to try it! So good when the weather is chilly. You will need to plan on this simmering for at least an hour and a half. The only thing that would have made it better was some homemade bread to dip in it! Let me know what you think! What could be better than starting off a recipe with bacon fried in butter??? YUMMO!
This is from Gooseberry Patch's Taste of Autumn cookbook.
Corn and Potato Chowder


1 TB butter
8 slices bacon ( I used a lot more...LOVIN that bacon!)
1 C chopped onion
3/4 C chopped green pepper
2 TB garlic, minced (I didn't have any-used garlic salt! HA!)
2 TB flour
5 C chicken broth
8 redskin potatoes, skinned and finely chopped
2 C carrots, chopped
2 C corn (I used a bag of frozen)
1 1/2 C heavy cream
2 tsp thyme
salt and pepper


Melt butter in stock pot, and bacon and cook until crisp. Remove bacon and set aside. Add onion and chopped pepper to the drippings and heat until tender. Add garlic. Remove from heat and sprinkle in flour-blend well. Gradually whisk in all of the broth until smooth. Stir in potatoes and carrots. Simmer on medium heat until vegetables are tender (about an hour). Add corn, salt and pepper then simmer for another 10  minutes. Stir in cream, herbs and crumbled bacon. Simmer for 2 minutes. Then FINALLY you can eat it! It's definitely worth the wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment